The SchoolMessenger App provides you with the ability to:
- view and listen to messages sent from your school or district (students/parents/guardians with school/district affiliation only)
- if you are a teacher: create one or more groups and invite students, parents, and guardians to participate in conversations that take place in those groups
- if you are a student, parent or guardian: join and participate in one or more groups created by teachers
- customize how you receive messages from the school or district (students/parents/guardians with school/district affiliation only)
All of these messages are conveniently centralized in an easily-accessible inbox. If you are associated with students in different schools, all matching records will link to your account. With flexible preference controls, most kinds of communication can be configured to be accessed exclusively via the SchoolMessenger APp.
Two types of SchoolMessenger App Users
- General User: can be anyone who has signed up to use the SchoolMessenger App and has been granted access to one of the discussion groups created by a teacher. This user does not have to be directly affiliated with the school as a teacher, parent or guardian. They could be a member of the community who has volunteered to participate in a discussion group and invited by a teacher (ie. an eaeronautical engineer offering advice and insights to senior high school students interested in the physics of flight and aircraft design).
- School-Affiliated User: a teacher, student or parent who is directly affiliated with a school or district, and who receives various types of SchoolMessenger Broadcast messages from the school or district. This user will have the ability to retrieve all these messages in the SchoolMessenger App, in addition to participating in the groups that general users also have access to.
Creating an Account
To use the SchoolMessenger app on your phone, or to access groups or messages from any desktop computer, you must first create an account. To create an account:
- Go to go.schoolmessenger.com
- Click on Sign In in teh upper right-hand corner of the log in page
- In the location section, change your location to Canada
- Enter your email address and a password. Your email address must be the same email address that you have provided to your child(ren)'s school in order to connect you with the messages that have been sent to you. Your password must contain at least one uppercase character, at least one lowercase character, and at least one digit. It must be no fewer than six characters in length.
- Click Sign up.
- An email will be sent to the email address you provided. Click on the link in the email. A new page will open up in your default browser.
- When you log in you will be prompted to identify yourself as a parent, student or teacher. Please choose the one that is applicable. You will now be able to see all of the messages that have been sent to you.
Downloading and Setting up the App
The SchoolMessenger App is currently available for Android (Google Play) and Apple phones. It is not available for Blackberry.
When downloading the app, ensure you are downloading the app version that has a blue logo:
Once you have downloaded the app and opened it on your phone, you will be prompted to Sign Up or Log In. If you do not already have an account set up, you will need to Sign Up.
On the Sign Up page, please enter the email address that you provided as a contact email at your child's school, and create a password. Your password must contain at least one uppercase character, one lowercase character, one digit, and must be no fewer than six characters in length. Once you have hit the Sign Up button you will be logged into the app, but not all of the functions may have been activated. Please check the email address you provided for a verification message and follow the directions in that email.
When you log in, you will be asked if you are a parent, student or teacher. Please choose the one that is applicable to the messages you want to receive (and that lines up with the email address you have used to log in). If you are a parent and have successfully linked to the information stored in our system, you should be able to see your child(ren) listed in the contacts sections.
Under Messages, you will be able to see all of the messages you have been sent. Northern Lights parents should see the September edition of the Parent Bulletin that was sent out.
If you have been provided with a Group code by your child's teacher, you can enter it in the group section. Your child's teacher will then be able to communicate with you or with anyone else in the group.
Setting Your Preferences
The preferences section allows you to indicate how you want to be contacted. At the top of the screen will be all of the contact phones numbers and email addresses you have provided to the school. If you click on a number you can indicate when you want the school to call or text you. The options are School Hours Emergency, Attendance, General, Survey, and Non-School Hours Emergency. Please note, you will have to have at least one contact method turned on for emergencies and attendance notifications. If the Call Me or Send me a text boxes are blue that means they are activated. To indicate you don't want to receive a call or text for a particular type of message, click on it until the box turns white.
Another way to set your preferences is to scroll to the bottom of the preferences screen where you will see all of the message types listed: School Hours Emergency, Attendance, General, Survey, Non-School Hours Emergency. Clicking in any of those boxes will show you the preferences you have for being contacted in any of those scenarios. Again, to deactivate a contact method, click on the phone number or email address untilthe box turns white.
Activating Push Notifcations
To have the app send push notifications to your phone, go to the Settings section and click on the Push Notification box. You will be able to select what types of messages you want to see push notifications fo. The ones that are active will be green and the ones that are not active will be grey.
The School Messenger App's Messages oage displays all messages (voice, email or text) sent to you from your school or division during the last 30 days, as well as the messages and conversations that have taken place in the groups you have joined. They are sorted in reverse chronilogical order.
Messages sent by the school or district will include the name of the message in bolded type (ie September Parent Bulletin), the name of the sender and the division or school, the message type (General, Emergency, Survey), the date the message was sent, initial icons indicating whom the message was sent to or whom the message is about - multiple circles indicate the same message has been sent for multiple students.
App-only messages (from groups) will include the initial icon of the group sender, the name of the sender, the name of the contact the message has been sent to (followed by the number of other group members who have received the same message), and the name of the message.
Responding to a Message
Anyone receiving an App-based message (groups) created by a teacher may read the message and, under the appropriate circumstances, read the comments of other group members and offer their own comments.
The circumstances are defined by the teacher who created the original message. The teacher can set up the message so that 1) comments can be entered and read by everyone, 2) comments can be entered by group members but will be received privately and read only by the teacher, or 3) no comments are allowed.
Northern Lights Public Schools is pleased to introduce School Messenger - a communication tool that will be available to...
The September 2017 Parent Bulletin, the first Parent Bulletin of the 2017-2018 school year, has arrived, featuring infor...
Students throughout Alberta have the opportunity to learn about Entrepreneurship while earning high school and college c...